Headaches and migraines can be uncomfortable and even disabling, depending on the level of pain they cause. Fortunately, there is a treatment for headaches in Birmingham, MI. If you experience headaches and migraines, your chiropractor in Birmingham, MI can help you get the headache treatment you need.
What causes headaches and migraines?
Headaches and migraines can have many different causes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Stress. Stress can cause muscle tension. As the muscles in the neck, shoulders and upper back become tense, this can cause pain that radiates up the neck and into the head.
- Whiplash. Whiplash is a condition that occurs when the head snaps forward or backward, often in an accident. Whiplash causes tiny tears in the muscles and ligaments of the neck, which can cause pain in the neck, stiffness, limited mobility and headaches.
- Neck strain or pinched nerve. Neck strains and pinched nerves can occur because of poor ergonomics, a bad mattress, and incorrect posture. Like whiplash, neck strain or a pinched nerve can cause pain that radiates up the neck into the head.
- Subluxations. A subluxation is a condition that occurs when the spinal cord becomes pressed upon by the vertebrae of the spine. Depending on the location of the problem, subluxations can cause neck pain, muscle stiffness, headaches and other problems.
- Allergies. Allergies can cause congestion in the head and chest, resulting in pressure that causes pain in the head and sinuses.
What are the symptoms of migraines and headaches?
Aside from an aching head, many people who experience migraines or headaches will experience feelings of dizziness, nausea, stiff neck and sensitivity to light.
How can chiropractic care in Birmingham help with your headache or migraine?
Your chiropractor can treat your headaches using a variety of different techniques. One of the most common techniques that chiropractors use to treat headaches include spinal adjustment. Spinal adjustment is a technique that chiropractors use to realign the vertebrae and reduce pressure on the spine. Spinal adjustment can help the body heal from neck injuries, eliminate subluxations and can even improve the overall functioning of the body to help reduce symptoms from allergies.
In addition to spinal adjustment, your chiropractor may use the following techniques to help you manage your pain and avoid further injury:
- Massage therapy. Massage therapy is a technique that chiropractors use to loosen the muscles and reduce tension. Massage therapy can also help reduce headaches for patients suffering from stress and anxiety.
- Stretches and exercises. Chiropractors teach patients to do stretches and exercises that can reduce muscle stiffness and improve mobility after an injury.
- Lifestyle advice. Chiropractors teach patients how to avoid habits and behaviors that cause headaches. In some cases, chiropractors can identify environmental conditions that trigger the headaches. After identifying triggers, the chiropractor can help the patient make environmental changes to prevent headaches in the future.
Where can you go for chiropractic treatment of headaches and migraines in Birmingham, MI?
If you’re a patient seeking headache and migraine treatment in Birmingham, MI, contact your chiropractor at Birmingham Wellness Center. We offer all natural chiropractic treatment for headaches, migraines and other forms of pain. Call us today at (248) 645-6070 to make an appointment.