Sports Injury Treatment with Our Birmingham Chiropractor Team
Here at Birmingham Wellness Center, our Birmingham chiropractor team, led by Dr. Jen Bonde, Dr. Rob Iannucci, and nutritionist Dr. Kellyann Petrucci, enjoy being active with their loved ones. That's why we're proud to work with athletes who are looking for natural pain relief from a sports injury, whether acute or chronic. Our services can also help athletes looking to prevent injury or maximize their performance, as well—without the need for drugs or invasive procedures.
Sports Injuries: Common Types
A sports injury often seems to come out of nowhere and lead to a sudden onset of pain, swelling, weakness, stiffness, or even instability in the affected area. In other cases, symptoms may be less intense but develop gradually over time and persist for months or more.
The following are a few of the most common types of sports injuries we evaluate and manage at our Birmingham chiropractic clinic:
- Muscle strains and ligament strains—this often leads to back pain, shoulder pain, or hip and leg pain
- Tendonitis or bursitis—inflammation and irritation to tendons or bursae, often in the shoulder, elbow, knee, or ankle
- Plantar fasciitis—inflammation of the tissue on the bottom of your foot, leading to sharp heel pain
- Whiplash—a major cause of neck pain due to rapid forward and backward bending of the neck (such as during a slip or high impact collision)
- Nerve compression—generally due to an injured disc, muscles spasm, or misaligned/narrowed joint, compressed nerves can cause pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness along the nerve's innervation path
Risk Factors for Sports Injury
It doesn't matter if you're an experienced athlete or just learning a new sport, sports injuries can occur anytime. The good news is many of the risk factors for sports injury are preventable. These include:
- Running on hard or uneven surfaces (e.g., always running in the same direction on the track)
- Improperly fitting equipment
- Poor technique and movement mechanics
- Old injuries that have residual weakness or scar tissue
- Sports-related accidents
- Repetitive movement, especially overhead or bending and twisting
- High impact or high contact sports
What a Birmingham Chiropractor Can Do For Your Sports Injury
Come see our Birmingham chiropractor team if you're trying to stay active—whether you're already injured or hoping to stay injury-free! Our services naturally heal tissues, reduce inflammation and swelling, and improve mobility, motor control, strength, and endurance. These services include:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Acoustic compression therapy
- Individualized nutritional counseling
- Massage therapy
- Corrective exercises
Sidelined by a Sports Injury?
If you're interested in learning more about natural sports injury treatment—or if you have other health needs including auto accident recovery or maternity care—contact the Birmingham Wellness Center at (248) 645-6070 to schedule an initial consultation.