Fibromyalgia Treatment from Your Chiropractor in Birmingham, MI
Although symptoms of fibromyalgia vary among patients, all sufferers must deal with a condition that is chronic and that sometimes makes it impossible to complete normal daily activities. This ailment is a disorder responsible for widespread soft tissue and muscle pain plus sensitivity at various spots on the body.
Patients treated at our Birmingham Wellness Center can look forward to customized treatment to bring relief. Our Birmingham chiropractor offers only natural, non-invasive therapies that avoid medication or surgery.
Overview of Fibromyalgia
Researchers have not discovered a definitive cause of fibromyalgia, which has no cure. Many believe that an atypical processing of pain signals by the brain is responsible for the discomfort that accompanies it. Our chiropractor cites other proposed causes as poor diet, stress, and inflammation of the fascia. Risk factors are higher for women than for men.
Sometimes a genetic link is present. In some sufferers, symptoms escalate over an extended period. Among the identified triggers are stress, infections, previous surgery, and trauma.
Diagnosis requires a physical exam. Typical symptoms include musculoskeletal pain, cognitive issues, fatigue, and poor sleep. Many of our patients also suffer from additional disorders such as TMJ, anxiety, irritable bowel syndrome, depression, and tension headaches.
A fibromyalgia diagnosis follows a comprehensive physical exam and an assessment of patient complaints, symptoms, and health history. Our Birmingham chiropractor must also confirm that the individual meets these criteria:
- The patient achieves certain scores on a widespread pain index and a symptoms severity scale in accordance with the American College of Rheumatology.
- Any other health-related issues that could be responsible for the symptoms have been ruled out.
- There is clear evidence that the patient has had applicable symptoms for a minimum of three months at a similar level of severity.
Each diagnosed patient receives an individualized treatment plan to manage discomfort and improve sleep. In most cases, this plan contains one or more of these therapies:
- Chiropractic adjustments to correct misaligned joints or subluxations
- Physical therapy to strengthen core and extremity muscles
- Wellness care such as nutritional counseling
- Massage therapy to reduce muscle and other body pain and relieve anxiety and depression
- Yoga to reduce stress; ease the mind; and improve strength, flexibility, and endurance
Schedule a Consultation with Our Birmingham Chiropractor
Is discomfort from fibromyalgia keeping you from your favorite activities? Our Birmingham Wellness Center focuses on increasing patients’ levels of wellness and relieving pain from injuries or chronic conditions. We offer natural, non-invasive chiropractic treatments, nutritional counseling, and applied kinesiology options. To get relief from your discomfort or improve your overall wellness, call us today at 248-645-6070 and schedule a consultation with our Birmingham chiropractor.